Well, yesterday was the big day...the day that Jon left for Iraq. It was pretty much a terrible day from the start. First of all, he had to meet the other deployers at 3:30 in the morning. We were allowed to meet him at the airport at 5:00am and then he flew out at 7:00am. So, I dragged all three kids out of bed at about 4:30 so we could go see him off. The one nice thing was that they let the family go through the security check point, so we were able to hang out with him until about 6:45am. I think because this is his first deployment, it was extra hard (I've heard it gets easier???). I was holding strong emotionally until it was actually time to get on the plane. I was really trying not to cry, but with the extra pregnancy hormones, that was near impossible. Lindsay saw me crying and she started bawling.
So Jon got on the plane and then we came home to go back to bed. It was already light outside, so the kids had a hard time going back to sleep and so did I. Tired mom + cranky, tired kids=a recipe for disaster. It was a long day and I couldn't wait for bedtime to come. I decided to go to church, even though we were so exhausted, but the kids actually were very well-behaved. The worst part of church was that everybody kept asking me how I was doing (which is nice that they are all so concerned), but everytime they would ask, I would get all emotional. It sucked.
We eventually made it through the day (thanks to some friends who invited us over for dinner). I am now trying to look on the bright side and trying to figure out how to be a single mom for the next 4 1/2 months and have baby #4 without a husband (any tips?). I know that I shouldn't complain because many husbands are gone for a lot longer than 4 1/2 months and there are so many people that are a lot worse off than me. I need to count my blessings. My hilarious cousin said to me, "What more could you want...a husband who is never around to drive you crazy, but he sends you lots of money??"
If any of you would like Jon's email/mailing address, let me know and I will get it to you. I am sure he would appreciate any extra support. Plus, making packages makes for great Family Home Evenings and service projects :)).
Monday, September 15, 2008
Bye, Bye Daddy!
Posted by Lisa at 8:48 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
Oh Lisa, I wish I lived closer so we could hang out. Could I be ANY further than stinkin' Washington? Sheesh.
You'll be fine. I love what your cousin said. Add to the list not having cook dinner (kids eat mac-n-cheese anyway), one less person to do laundry for, you can watch whatever you want when kids go to bed, and you get the whole bed to yourself!
Hang in there, my friend. I'll be calling you soon.
I'm not going to sugar coat it and tell you all the perks of not having a husband around because the fact is that it sucks! I'm so sorry he's gone! You're a much stronger person than I, that's for sure! I can't imagine having a baby without my husband there! If you want to look for a positive though, you'll definitely be way skinnier when he gets back than when he left! Maybe that'll give him something to look forward to, too!
This post made me sad and I've never even met your husband! We sure appreciate all he is doing!
You are great at juggling a lot! You'll do marvelously, I'm sure. Still, we'll send lots of prayers your way & packages Jon's way! Wish we could do more- LOVE YA LOTS! Julie
Lisa, give us a holler if you need anything. We're just a car ride away!
I just hope that things stay nice and busy so that time will seem to go a little faster. My hormones are making me cry a little for you. I don't want to be depressing so I'll leave it at that. Love you!
You are a brave, brave woman! I think I would be a mess! I am thinking of you...:)
Oh Lisa, I'm so sorry. Deployment stinks. On the plus side, at least now each day is a day closer to him coming home instead of a day closer to him leaving. Hang in there. We'll be thinking of you. Breeana
I just went to a friends homecoming who was in Iraq for 6 months and it really seemed to fly by...I was not pregnant nor his wife though so I guess it's a dumb thing to say! But you are a strong ultra capable woman so I know you will get through it like a champ!
Hopefully the time will pass quickly for you. We're thinking about you and keeping you in our prayers. Wish we were closer to help out.
Oh my gosh! I wish you were here in Seattle so I could be of help to you! You and your family will be in my prayers!!
I don't know which is more shocking, learning that Jon was deployed or that you have a blog, and I didn't know about it! Ok, so those 2 things are hardly =, but did I make u laugh? When u figure out what things u need help w/ let me know. Whatever I can do from afar (send u fun stuff in the mail)I will b happy 2 do!
I heard from someone at the Seneca Ward that Jon was leaving. I learned a lot about strength from you (when I needed it most -my postpartum months); I know you'll do great. We hope all goes well and time goes fast.
oh that would be tough, I don't envy you. How long will he be gone?
Post a Comment