Wednesday, August 27, 2008

One of my biggest fears....

So here in Florida we have all sorts of poisonous snakes...coral snakes, water moccassins, etc. Anyway, our house backs up to a forest and our neighbors have told us sooo many snake stories. One of my biggest fears is that my kids will be playing in the backyard and they will get bit by a poisonous snake. I'm so paranoid in fact that I make them wear long pants and boots when they go out and play...even though it is like 100 degrees outside with 100% humidity. Better safe than sorry, right?

I was feeling pretty lucky that we have lived in this house for a year and have never seen a snake, but my luck ran out today. Curled up in the corner of our patio was a HUGE, black snake. Tyler spotted it first, but luckily Jon was home (I probably would have panicked). I quickly herded all 3 kids inside while we watched through the window as Jon bravely got rid of the snake with one of our pool nets. I didn't get a chance to snap a picture, but I am now a believer that there are snakes in my backyard! Will I ever let my kids out to play again?

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh yeah, tomorrow they'll be bugging you and you'll totally kick them out of the house--snacks and all. =)

Amy J said...

Oh my goodness! How scary... I about pee my pants when I see a roach, I don't know what I'd do if I saw a snake out back!

Anonymous said...

Just make Jon go out first and if he comes back alive, send the kids:) Just kidding. Scary. Next you'll find an alligator in your pool!

Lempskies said...

Jon's so brave. I still love his story of chasing the bear away w/ a shovel & his best mountain lion noises! You guys have so many adventures there. We'll keep hoping Gustav doesn't change course & you don't have to add "hurricane survival" to the list.

Unknown said...

OK, I got the heebie jeebies just reading that. I HATE snakes!!!

Sarah said...

I just linked you on my blog, I hope that's okay. =)

Sarah said...

Hey--is that Leah Lund? Send me her email or blog address if it is.